Friday, May 2, 2008

Boys will be boys!



So, thanks to the Disney Song Collection my boys have learned the song "Seize the Day" from the Disney musical, Newsies (one of my all time favs) !! LeRoy was so kind as to buy the DVD the other day and I've been letting them watch the scene with the song, a sort of music video if you will. Yesterday I got to doing something else and Trey got to see the following scene in which the Newsies 'soak' the other boys buying newspapers. (If you've never seen it, I highly recommend watching it for it's 'feel good' quality.) To make a long story short, Trey figured out which character was Jack and proceeds to tell me that Jack is the best. "Oh yeah," I said. He says, "You wanna know why?" "Why, Trey." "Because he's the greatest fighter!" Excellent, so here I have introduced this seemingly innocent movie with cheesy songs and choreography. But what is it that my four year old son gets from it all? Jack Kelly is the greatest fighter! As long as he doesn't use any of those uppercuts and hooks he's learned on his little brother, I suppose it will be okay. It can't be any worse than the Power Rangers he's learning about from his school friends! I mean really, what's a mom to do?

1 comment:

Aston said...

I love Newsies! I am amazed at how little boys can pick out the violence in things I would never have thought of. You can't tell me that some things aren't just part of who they are. Dan would point out to me that atleast he isn't singing and dancing around the room ... which of course I don't think there is anything wrong with!:) Also Ty loves to talk about the Power Rangers but has never seen them. How does this happen? I agree how to do we moms have any chance with these "boys boys".