Friday, May 30, 2008

Sleep....I love sleep.....

I've always prided on myself on being a 'tough' mom when it comes to teaching my kids to put themselves to sleep and sleep through the night. Why then, as I sit here listening to Rachel cry in her crib, do I feel an overwhelming urge to go rescue my dear daughter? Could it be the fact that she's a girl? Oh dear, I hope not. I just think that's wrong and totally unfair after having two boys. Or could it be the possibility that she just might be my last baby? Whatever it is, I am struggling with ever fiber of my being to sit here in my chair. Funny considering usually it takes every effort I have to get out of this chair. Ha Ha! I continue to remind myself that it will be even harder for her to teach herself to go to sleep once she's old enough to stand up. I've seen kids fall asleep sitting, but never while standing holding onto the bars of the crib screaming at the top of their lungs. So here I sit firmly on my fanny ever thankful that I know it's all worth it in the end! Golly, I love being a mom. Oh, could it be? I think she stopped. Wow, I think I'll go celebrate with some ice cream!

5 comments:

Celeste said...

1- David fell asleep sitting up holding on to and leaning on the crib bars. Walked into the room, startled him, and he continued to remember how horrible of a mother he had and SCREAMED, SCREAMED, SCREAMED

2- Ice Cream? Come on we are making positive changes together! So either you put down the ice cream or you CALL ME so I can come have some too!!

The Latham Family said...

I remember that overwhelming sense of helplessness when Ellie finally moved to her crib and we let her cry it out. You are so right though, that it's completely worth it! Plus, what's not worth a bowl of some yummy ice cream?!

Aston said...

Ohhh! You are a much stronger mom than I am. But as everyone told me it doesn't last forever. Ty sleeps in his own bed all night. Two years ago I would never have thought it possible. Emma is much better about sleeping in her crib but that has only been after we stopped nursing. I can't help it ... I am a co-sleeper. I would never have thought it possible.

So, of course now I need ice cream. Poor Dan, off to a ice cream run he will go. Thank goodness for a supportive husband.

Aria Eden said...

I wish I could say I was so strong! Right now I'm soothing Sariah back to sleep an average of a few times each nap. Night time's not a problem thank goodness. (She's almost sleeping through the night). Fun to see your blog by the way! Have you seen Ammon 'n Lindzie's blog? (spillerfam.blogspot.com)

CAMI said...

Um I agree with Jes~ ?I am just not as strong as you- Heather is * months old and still last night she slept the second half the night with me because the first half she was waking up every half an hour wanting mommy! I cant wait till she will sleep at least half the night soundly! At least shes in her crib now(well most the night).