Saturday, January 31, 2009

A love of primary songs passed through generations



Tonight I am especially grateful for a father who loves music. As I was tucking my boys into bed I started to sing "Whenever I hear the song of a bird" and Trey said that's the song that Grandpa always sings to us. My heart was full as I remembered fondly the nights my dad would tuck me into bed and sing me that song. I am so thankful for the truths that I have learned from Primary songs and the testimony they have given me of the love that my Heavenly Father has for me, that I am a Child of God, that "He sent His son to die for us and rise with living breath", and that Families Can be Together Forever." I've always said everything you'll ever need to know you can find in a primary song and I know it now more than ever. Thanks Dad, for taking the time to teach me these songs and to feel the spirit of them so that I can teach them to my children and I know they will teach them to theirs.

Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heavenly Father created for me.

He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him reverently.
For all his creations, of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me.

No comments: