Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Quick Spanish Rice



I found this recipe on www.recipezaar.com and it's become my "go to" side dish for Mexican night. I love to use tomatoes with chilies, but it can make it a little spicy for Trey. (Kyler won't even put it in him mouth, so I don't have to worry about him. Argh, picky eaters.) I also often cheat if I don't have a can of chicken stock on hand and use a bouillon cube. Higher in sodium, but oh well. So, here you go Celeste! *I forgot to mention that I usually add a can of corn at the very end and let the steam from the rice heat it through. If you don't like your corn still crunchy, I'm sure you could probably add it with everything else! Good Luck!*

SERVES 8 (change servings and units)

Ingredients

Directions

  1. In medium saucepan, combine all ingredients (I usually mash tomatoes with potato masher or give them a quick spin in food processor).
  2. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low.
  3. Cover and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is done. (Unless you like sticky, gooey rice, don't take off the lid and stir at all until it is done).
  4. Garnish with green onions and/or cheddar cheese.

2 comments:

Celeste said...

I made this on Wednesday and YUMMMMMYYYY!!!! It goes so good with enchaladas!! My brother and his wife also approve!!! Thanks for posting this!!

Celeste said...

one little thing- you told me about the variation of putting a can of drained corn when the rice is done cooking. I like it like that!! Yeah, and TONS of cheese! Which brings me to my next post- The food I love and the thighs I hate!