Monday, October 6, 2008

The perfect bread recipe for me!





Kyler has been a picky eater from the very beginner! For quite sometime the child only ate canned fruit. A friend of mine sent me home with a couple slices of homemade wheat bread one day and Kyler just loved them. I decided that I'd start making bread, after all I have 350 pounds of wheat! My mom went to a bread making class at church, which I thought was odd since she already knows how. But boy am I glad she did! She got the perfect bread recipe just for me. It makes just one small loaf. You see, I only really like homemade bread the first and maybe the second day. After that, it's easy to see why preservatives are used. Plus I just love the smell of my house on a baking day. Since it's only one loaf, it's really not a big ordeal. So, every other day or so I bake a loaf of bread and Kyler will eat it plain, as toast, or a jelly sandwich. No peanut butter, mind you. For anyone interested, here it is:

2 1/2 tsp yeast
3 T honey Combine these three ingredients and let 'poof' as Kyler calls it
1 1/8 C warm water

While waiting combine:
3 C whole wheat flour
3 T gluten
3/4 tsp salt

Add 1 T olive oil to yeast mixture. Slowly mix flour, gluten, salt into yeast. I use my Kitchenaid to do my kneading and boy is it great! I'm so glad LeRoy bought me that thing back when we were newlyweds and wealthy (relatively)! When finished kneading press out any air bubbles remaining and shape into loaf. I use a small loaf pan. Let rise about an hour or so. You can get away with a little less if you are in a hurry. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. I say when you can smell it, it's probably getting close! It makes me happy just thinking of that smell!

1 comment:

Celeste said...

Can I trade you some wheat from some ground wheat :)