Friday, November 14, 2008

I think we've found a new Friday night tradition!

I'm hoping someday when I get over the fact that it's gonna cost me as much to pay a babysitter as it does to go to dinner that LeRoy and I will go out on dates Friday nights, but in the meantime we enjoy the occasional break courtesy of my mom and we just enjoy being together as a family most Friday nights. After tonight's successful dinner experience, I'm thinking that making pizzas in all their varieties every Friday night has endless possibilities! The boys have been snacking on the Costco size bag of pepperoni lately. A couple of days ago Trey complained of a sore throat and I'm guessing he must have eaten a few too many. Ever since he's a little nervous about pepperoni, so he decided he wanted broccoli and carrots on his pizza. What kind of a mom would I be to say no to that? We grated some carrots steamed some broccoli. He only one piece and then was ready for something different, but I was more than happy. DJ, our adopted son for one more night, also opted for the shredded carrots in addition to his pepperoni. Kyler, my picky one, was more than happy with just pepperoni. He ate 3/4 of his 8 inch plate sized pizza. I was floored! It was a great dinner and everyone had lots of fun!! I tried a new pizza dough recipe that uses brown sugar and italian seasoning.


Pepperoni with Carrots

Plain Old Pepperoni
Trey's Broccoli and Carrots

Since I don't know how to do the link thingy yet, I will just have to cut and paste. I did it all in my kitchenaid and I am pretty sure I used more than 3 1/2 cups of flour. Here you go:

Ingredients

Directions

  1. In large bowl, dissolve yeast and brown sugar in the water.
  2. Let sit for 10 minutes.
  3. Stir the salt, oil and italian seasoning into the yeast mixture.
  4. Mix in 2 1/2 cups of the flour.
  5. Turn dough out onto a clean, dry surface and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky.
  6. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a cloth.
  7. Let the dough double in size.
  8. Should take about 1/2 hour if in warm spot.
  9. Punch down and let rest a minute.
  10. Roll out, and prepare your favorite pizza.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just out of curiosity how much dough did that make? Did you have to double or triple the recipe?

Woodrich Family said...

We made three round cake pans and one sheet pan. The crust was kind of thin. I'm considering doubling next time. We didn't have any leftovers. :(

The Latham Family said...

I think that the brocolli and carrot pizza looks like something from a fancy restaurant! Maybe Trey is on to something!

Coleman Family said...

What a good mommy you are! Homemade pizza dough? I call it "homemade" if I use the Boboli crust and add my own cheese and other toppings!